LAS VEGAS: After shaking the tires in the first round of Friday’s qualifying in the 15 annual NHRA Nationals in Las Vegas, Clay Millican refused to fold in Q2.
The Tennessee native showed a solid hand to close the day, guiding the Parts Plus dragster down the quarter-mile a despite a broken belt. Millican’s 3.874 @ 295.59 mph was good enough to end the day in the 11th slot.
“I’m getting more and more comfortable with everything we’re doing,” Millican said. “These little breaks [between races] that we’ve had early in the season have helped us get caught up a bit. But there is no replacement for the experience of that car going down the racetrack.”
The Parts Plus/Liquid MPG Top Fuel dragster’s incremental times in the second round of qualifying: 60ft–0.864 sec.; 330ft–2.173; 660ft–3.874 @ 295.59 mph.
Although he’s cautious about overplaying his cards at this point in the 2014 campaign, Millican says he’s pleased with his new team’s progress.
“If we continue to take it round by round, I feel like we’re going to be really competitive,” he said. “When this Parts Plus car goes all the way down the racetrack, it puts up a pretty good number the majority of the time. From there we can start pushing the limits a little bit.”
And that’s no bluff.
Order after 2 rounds of Top Fuel qualifying at the 15th annual NHRA Nationals as part of the 2014 NHRA Mello Yello Series:
Psn Driver Vehicle ET Speed
1. Steve Torrence Capco Contactors 3.779 322.27
2. Antron Brown Matco Tools 3.797 322.96
3. Doug Kalitta Mac Tools 3.797 319.75
4. Richie Crampton GEICO/Lucas Oil 3.798 319.98
5. Tony Schumacher U.S. Army 3.816 322.96
6. Bob Vandergriff C&J Energy 3.831 319.52
7. Brittany Force Castrol Edge 3.834 311.34
8. Spencer Massey Battery Extender 3.837 320.89
9. Khalid alBalooshi Al-Anabi 3.847 312.57
10. Shawn Langdon Al-Anabi 3.848 316.90
11. Clay Millican Parts Plus 3.874 295.59
12. Terry McMillen Amalie Motor Oil 3.936 309.77
——— Not Qualified ———
13. Troy Buff BME Dragster 4.028 237.88
14. Steven Chrisman California Gear 4.327 206.64
15. David Grubnic Bounty Hunter 5.102 134.70
16. Mike Strasburg Procomp 5.594 115.82
17. Steve Faria System One 5.820 112.62